Organizational Behavior Paper
In general, all written assignments will be graded on the following criteria:
- Covers completely the actual specific details of the assignment. If an example connects to an OB concept from the course, directly make the connection in your writing. Let me know that you know the connection.
- Addresses the content or substantive issues with outstanding accuracy and insight, and demonstrates excellent understanding.
- Organizational structure illustrates a strong grasp of the ideas, uses transitions effectively, and conclusions are logical and clearly stated.
- Research, supporting ideas, and examples are thoughtfully chosen, relevant and accurate.
- No (or very, very few) errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation!
- Language sets appropriate tone for the purpose and audience, characterized by persuasiveness and strong variety in word choice and sentence structure.
- Easy to read, flows, and is a compelling and interesting read.
- Follows guidelines outlined below in Submission Format for Written Work.
Parachute paper (9 pages)
Premise: You show up for work in a new organization or “parachute” into the organization (often knowing little about the organization). This analytical paper describes how you observe and orient in this new environment to more fully understand the organization’s behavior.
In addition to the grading guidelines above… You should address the deeper currents of culture as well as howprocesses and mission drive behavior. You should address your place in this organization (from which perspective are you writing), not merely from a “job description” perspective, but from at the individual and group levels of analysis. While not limited to these topics, your paper should also address leadership, motivation, communications, and ethics. In addition to incorporating a wide variety of specific OB distinctions from the course, the paper must analyze (not merely describe) the organization’s behavior from each zoom level:individual, group, organization, and inter-organizational.
Other than the format guidelines in this syllabus, how you clearly format this paper is up to you. You might be effective in first-person or third-person. The paper requires you to think deeply about OB in a specific organization. There is no required formula to accomplish this assignment.
This is a final paper and should draw upon and synthesize concepts, distinctions, and major themes from the entire course. You may use an organization you have experience with or research one where you would like to work. Ideally, from reading this paper, I should have the experience of being there with you and gain a valuable understanding of this organization. Another way to look at this paper is as the document which uncovers the currents of organizational behavior in a methodical way. The exercise of writing this paper provides you with a template for analyzing your next organization’s behavior, to avoid organizational pitfalls, and more quickly make a valuable contribution.
The papers must be typed (12 point font) in Times New Roman Font; double-spaced (unless otherwise noted), with one inch margins, and printed on 8.5 x 11 inch paper.
Use the OB concepts from the book as many as you can. The paper must analyze (not merely describe) the organization’s behavior from each zoom level: individual, group, organization, and inter-organizational. Textbook: Robbins, S.P. and Judge, T.A. 2012. Essentials of Organizational Behavior. 12th Ed. Pearson-Prentice Hall, NJ.
I have attached the text book pdf in the attachment. Please use the OB concepts in the text book and analyze the organization.