Discussion: Amazon.com: Gathering the External and Internal Data
For part 1 of this discussion assignment, we will be compiling information concerning strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats as they relate to Amazon.com.
- Visit the website of Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com.
- Go to the “Investor Relations” section of the Amazon.com website (you will find the “Investors” link at the bottom of the page), and locate the company’s most recent Annual Report.
- Perform a SWOT Analysis and share at least three key facts, metrics, ratios, or observations as they relate to some key strength, weakness, opportunity, or threat faced by the company (i.e., an internal functional area, a PESTLE force, or one of Porter’s Five Forces). **For example, you might provide a financial ratio along with your impression as to whether it is a financial weakness or a strength (Internal Profile), or you might mention how the governmental politics of a foreign country might be placing one of Amazon’s foreign operations at greater risk (External Environment).
After reading the key strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats presented by your classmates in Part 1,
- Provide your impression as to whether Amazon.com has more strengths than weaknesses or more weaknesses than strengths.
- Do the company’s opportunities (if any) outweigh its threats?
- Does Amazon.com have any sustainable competitive advantages (SCA), and if so, what are they?
Parts 1 and 2 Should be combined as your original post of more than 200 words to include at least 1 citation and reference supporting your work. Also, please be sure that you respond to at least two of your classmates with at least 100 words each.